5/05/2010

Carbon Neutral Blog!

carbon neutral coupons and shopping with kaufDA.de

I know I kind of missed the boat on celebrating Earth Day here but I want to share a few ways to make a change here. First I have seen a few posts recently about making your blog carbon neutral. I finally took the time to check out the site and decided to participate. I don't consider myself a particularly wasteful person in general and we make every effort to recycle and keep our consumer waste as low as possible. But if you think about it we all use power whether batteries on our laptop or electrical power on our desktop to keep our little blogs afloat. The mission of the German group My blog is Carbon Neutral is to plant a tree to neutralize the effects of every participating blog. Here is their mission from the website:
“My blog is carbon neutral” is an initiative, originally started in Germany by the “Make it green” programme, that has the goal to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. We plant a tree for your blog and thereby neutralise your blog’s carbon footprint for the next 50 years! Everyone can make a small contribution to the environment. Every tree counts!
It's super easy. You just post the button on your sidebar, write a post about the movement, and e-mail them a link. They take care of planting the tree in Plumas National Forest in California. How cool is that.

I also wanted to let you know about another easy way to be a little more green. The Energy Efficient NOW website has a great offer right now to receive two
free Compact Fluorescent (CFL) Lightbulbs! "These low-consumption lightbulbs are environmentally friendly, using only 25% of the electricity consumed by incandescent (traditional) lightbulbs. Save the environment and save big money on your electrical bill at the same time (Approximately 30$ per bulb - We're saving you 60$ in addition to the cost of the lightbulbs!)"

Their website is full of information on ways to save energy in your household or business. Mike and I have replaced most of our lightbulbs with CFL but there are a few in the basement that we can now change when we get the free ones in the mail.

6 comments:

Ann said...

When I first read about the carbon neutral blog thing I had no idea what that meant. I had to investigate it.
As for light bulbs that's a sticky subject in our house since my husband makes incandescent light bulbs for a living.

Duni said...

Over here (in Germany) we've begun to slowly phase out incandescent light bulbs to be replaced with energy-saving ones. By 2012 all light-bulbs will be exchanged!

Kristin said...

We also replaced all of our lightbulbs... and is it just me, or do they last soo much longer too? I can't remember the last time I changed a light bulb!

Split Rock Ranch said...

I just ordered my two free bulbs. If they work well for us I'll try to slowly replace the rest of the bulbs in the house as they need to be replaced. We are already using fluorescent bulbs in the kitchen and are buying the full spectrum lights which make a huge difference in the light - it is blue rather than yellow and I love them!

Thank you for hosting my Entrecard ad today!

Henrietta said...

This is such a cool idea! I'm going to make my blog carbon neutral too, Thanks for sharing!

sewa mobil said...

Nice article,thanks for the information.

 

(c) Lenox Knits, 2009|Created by NSD