9/03/2008

Yarn Shopping


My husband says that my first hobby is shopping for yarn and my second hobby is actually knitting. I hate to admit it but he is at least partially right. I love looking at yarn either on-line or in person. Unfortunately you find the best deals on-line. I say unfortunately because I really would love to support my LYS more but I would never be able to keep my prices as low as I do if I got all my supplies from them.

I have a few favorite places on line that I go to whenever I am looking for good quality yarn for at least 50% off. I wouldn't say that I am a yarn snob but I do prefer working with name brand/natural fibers, although I'm certainly not too good for a sale at Hobby Lobby or Michaels.

1. My favorite place to go is the sale section at Webs: http://yarn.com/
They always have a great selection of good yarn marked down and if you catch their summer or end of year sale you will be in heaven!

2. The first place I ordered yarn on line was http://www.littleknits.com/
They have great sales on Noro yarn, my favorite brand. They also have some lovely handpainted and Chilean yarns, such as Malabrigo. This is actually a yarn shop with a very friendly owner you can call and chat with if you have questions about her merchandise.

3. For quality without paying for the brand you have to go to http://www.knitpicks.com/
They took the middle man out and do all of their own yarns now. They have gorgeous merino wools, alpacas, and superwash wools for a fraction of the price. I am also dying to try their new straight needles in gorgeous wood tones.

4. A lot of people swear by Elann at http://www.elann.com/frames.asp but I've only bought from them once. If you are looking for a sweater's worth of yarn I would start with them. They have lovely DK and sport weight's in just about any fiber you could want.

5. If you are looking for fun novelty yarns at really good prices http://www.herrschners.com/ is a good place to start. You never know what you will find there and sometimes you can score an amazing deal, like I did on some Rowan for $2 a skein a month ago. They update their weekly sale yarn on Wednesday afternoon and I get an e-mail reminder I always check out right away since they often sell out in a day.

6. If you are really wanting to build your stash fast the place to go is http://www.smileysyarns.com/
They have amazing deals on yarn for as much as 80% off and less than $1. The only catch is you have to spend at least $50 and they charge $12.95 flat rate for shipping. So I do it like once a year, but you won't believe the deals you can find.

7. The other way to find great deals is to hunt the destash sales on Ebay and Etsy. I have gotten some amazing scores that way. I bought one box full of Noro and Rowan, pictured above, most without their ball bands, for $25. If I sell all the scarves I've made from that box I could make well over $200 for that small investment.

If you have any tips for finding quality yarn at discounted prices please leave them for me in the comments. Not only does it help me keep my prices down in my shop it helps feed my insatiable yarn habit too!

1 comment:

Mel said...

I love Smiley's and what I do is go in with my knitting group. We take one night all pick out our yarn for projects we want to do and split the shipping. It's great!

 

(c) Lenox Knits, 2009|Created by NSD