10/07/2008

Make it Work


I was thinking about what a few people had said about my scarf vs. scarflette quandary, that I should find a way to use fun stitches in my less expensive scarves to keep me interested. I heard the voice of Tim Gunn in the back of my head telling me to just "make it work" and got inspired. As I've been out with a cold I spent the last few days trying out different stitches on less expensive yarns.

If I can't finish a $15 scarf in a few hours it is just not worth my time. That is why big needles and the drop stitch has always been my friend with these items. I spend more time figuring out the perfect stitch for my higher lines and experimenting with different things, but with the lower end I just pick up my needles and go.

The Sea Foam Stitch from Barbara Walkers Book 2 of stitches, which is like the knitter's bible when it comes to stitches, is one of my go to favorites. It looks great with handpainted yarn, is ideal for beading and is a fast and fun stitch. The other great thing about it is that it impresses non knitters and even knitters tend to admire it. It is essentially an 8 row repeat pattern of knit stitches with strategically placed yarn overs throughout. I used it yesterday on a quick knit with some pretty but cheap pink yarn, not the handpainted pink to the left, but a sparkly synthetic. It turned out equally lovely and I was finished in my few hour time frame so I was happy. I also used another of my favorites in a quick knit with chunky yarn today so I think I have broken the monotony of the drop stitch!

I'm planning on writing down my pattern for one of my favorite and most popular scarflettes. I'll try to have it posted some time next week. It is my first attempt at writing down a pattern but trust me it is no Debbie New. I would like to work out some of my patterns though and have them in writing for my own benefit.

2 comments:

rockcreekcreations said...

I think I may have suggested something about the fun stitches...;-) I'm glad you have found something that you can work with. it is always good to have different price points.

Lenox Knits said...

Thanks rockcreek. Talking about it here and the comments really got me thinking. Especially with the current economic situation, I thought it was important to keep making the lower end scarves. I'm glad I found a way to make it work for me.

 

(c) Lenox Knits, 2009|Created by NSD