10/31/2008

Halloween Humbug

Is it just me or does the whole world seem to be obsessed with Halloween now. When I was a kid it was a fun day but I don't remember it being such a big deal. I used to dress up in my grandmothers old clothes and costume jewelry as either a flapper or gypsy, alternating each year. There have been silly teenagers dressed up in rental costumes on just about every street corner for the past month and a half advertising for one costume store or another. I've heard lots of adults and teenagers talking about costume parties which I honestly never did past junior high. Am I the only one who doesn't get it?


Perhaps being childless has something to do with it. I don't have the anticipation of finding a costume and parties leading up to it. The Child Development classes all came trick or treating through our offices this morning on campus. It was fun seeing all their happy faces but it also kind of made me sad. Another side effect of being childless I suppose. There are certain moments when it hits me.

3 comments:

Lindsey said...

I tried to get excited about it this year but it's tough to do that when no one else around you cares about it either. Plus I don't have anywhere to go except the front porch to hand out candy.

Kathleen J. said...

Some adults seem a bit over the top with it to me too. I do enjoy handing out candy to the kids but I haven't worn a costume since I was a kid.

Miragi said...

Don't feel down about it. It's just another holiday trashed by the idjits on Madison Avenue who think that EVERY DAY is a cause to BUY BUY BUY :)

I enjoy Halloween for the sheer spooky spirit of it, and don't go near the commercialized crap that takes place in public. I smell the burning leaves, the chilly air, and just think back to a time when it was about haunted houses, toilet papering, and getting into some wicked fun trouble! :)

Just doesn't matter what other people do with it, it's how YOU wish to celebrate it!

 

(c) Lenox Knits, 2009|Created by NSD