12/05/2008

Friday Gift Guides: For Mom



There really is no lack of gift ideas on Etsy for women and girls. Jewelry is by far the top category. Shopping for the Mom that has everything, such as mine, can be a little trickier though. If your mom collects something you can use that as a starting point and do a search for that type of item. There are plenty of sellers who cater to the young hipster but there are also many sellers who are geared more toward the traditional or the fun loving Mom. Here are some of my favorites that would be a good starting point for Mom shopping:

As always I strongly believe you can find artwork for anyone on your list on Etsy. Above is a gorgeous original watercolor by fellow St. Louis artist Linda Hammelman. She has a shop full of florals, stilllifes, as well as some abstracts. You can get an original piece of art to hang on mom's wall at a very reasonable price that she will think of you whenever she admires.














I don't know about you but my mother is a total bag and shoe whore, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree so they say. Miabaggali is one of my favorite bag makers on Etsy. I bought my favorite bag of all time from her which I've actually started reusing again recently. She also makes Fun and cozy fingerless Scroogies™, which would make a great gift idea for Mom or anyone else for that matter. I'm a knitter and I've been tempted to get them for myself!



As I mentioned jewelry for Mom can be found in abundance on Etsy. Basilthecat is one mom approved place to start with. I bought a little frog locket from her over a year ago that my Mom wears almost every day. She makes her jewelry from recycled pieces she picks up at thrift stores. They have a very old wordly feel to them while being very unique and new.


Moms always love bath and body products and Etsy is home to thousands of great soap makers. One of my new discoveries is natures luxeries. She has a gift basket that is full of indulgent products. You can choose from her long lists of scents, which includes CANDIED CHESTNUTS, GARDENIA, ,BANANA NUT BREAD or my favorite CEDAR & SAFFRON.



Handmade pottery is a favorite of mine and dgordon has some gorgeous pieces at amazing prices. This set includes nine trinket plates for only $100. You could gift some of them to Mom and keep a few for yourself!



Pandjcrafts is another local crafter that I discovered through Entrecard. She has some fun rag bags and HOMESPUN RAGGY QUILT CANDLE MAT & COASTER SETs. I like this red gingham print and it would make a perfect gift wrapped up with a handmade soy candle.



I was happy to be Collo's first sale on Etsy recently when I bought some cards that I absolutely adore. She also has some lovely decoupaged boxes and bowls that I would fill with other items from the list for a perfect gift presentation.

2 comments:

P and J Crafts said...

Thanks so much for thinking of me! I convoed you, but wanted to thank you here. What a nice thing to do!

Take care,
Julie :-)

Lindsey said...

You can't go wrong with soaps or other bath stuff. Some of the soaps on etsy are like little pieces of art! And most are only a few dollars.

 

(c) Lenox Knits, 2009|Created by NSD